Is the Impossible now Possible?
Online marketplaces like Amazon and eBay have forever changed the way online shopping is done. They’ve pushed brick and mortar retail businesses to the brink by not only offering commercial goods at extremely low prices, but now same-day delivery? Is the impossible now possible? Although Amazon has already started offering their same-day service in 10 major cities, it seems like now more than ever eBay has jumped on the bandwagon with their “eBay Now” to grab their slice of the pie. We take a peek inside both companies to find out what the deal is and how it can improve online shopping forever.
eBay recently announced the launch of their “eBay Now” service in beta for San Francisco residents only. Users can now test and order products from partnering retailers like Best Buy and Macy’s and receive items that same day. Cheaper than Amazon’s current rates, eBay is offering same-day deliveries at $5 an item for purchases over $25. Purchase must be made between certain times of the day like 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Saturday, and 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Sunday. Although eBay’s new delivery service is still in test-mode, they are expecting to make waves with ‘eBay Now’ and give Amazon a run for their money.
As for Amazon, they’ve recently escalated the race for same-day delivery with the recent purchase of Kiva Systems. The company that first introduced warehouse robot workers to the world is looking to help Amazon lower costs and improve efficiency within Amazon warehouses worldwide. Amazon’s same-day service ‘Local Express Delivery’ is currently available in 10 major U.S cities and for a more expensive price of $8.99 and up per delivery.
- Baltimore: Order as late as 11:00 a.m. local time
- Boston: Order as late as 11:00 a.m. local time
- Chicago: Order as late as 7 a.m. local time
- Indianapolis: Order as late as 7 a.m. local time
- Las Vegas: Order as late as 10 a.m. local time
- New York City (and parts of New Jersey): Order as late as 8:30 a.m. local time
- Philadelphia: Order as late as 10 a.m. local time
- Phoenix: Order as late as 9:30 a.m. local time
- Seattle: Order as late as 12 p.m. local time
- Washington, D.C.: Order as late as 11:00 a.m. local time
Special Delivery Information
The following conditions apply to Local Express Delivery:
- Saturday and Sunday delivery available for certain locations
- No P.O. boxes or APO, FPO, or DPO
- Items may be delivered up until 8PM local time